Saturday, June 4, 2011

It's More Than a Business


When I started my children's party planning company almost four years ago, I was able to include my own children right from the start. Whether it was with assembling loot bags, shopping for supplies or even having the older ones get into costume and help with parties, I was still able to spend time with them while building the business. But quality time that it was, it was still work.
Since joining Brant Clown Alley, I have discovered a new way of including my children in my profession: Brant Entertainers Skills Time, or B.E.S.T. Children twelve and up are welcome to come out to every Thursday for free to join the "pros" and learn/practise new skills such as juggling, unicycling, the diabolo, stilts, face painting, balloon twisting and magic. It's become a whole new way for them to expand their horizons, move outside of themselves and face new challenges. My son, who is almost 16, was so shy the first night but he took to the juggling right away. His face beamed with pride. Who knew he was also watching the boys using diabolos? It was a delight to take him (at his insistence) to Kind of Magic in Waterloo where Wilber and Phil welcomed us and got us outfited with juggling balls and a diabolo.
I carted three children to the next B.E.S.T. which is held in a park during the warmer months. What a magical evening!
To see pictures of that night, go here.
Brant Entertainers Skills Time meets every Thursday through the summer at Alexandra Park in Brantford from 7 to 9 PM, weather permitting. Indoor location is close by at Heritage Church

No comments:

Post a Comment